Don’t worry dear listener, there are PLENTY of good… no GREAT reasons to do Pilates for people with back pain. We share some of them here.
Resources mentioned in the episode:
- Schedule a call with our team here
- Connect with Adam McAtee on IG here
- Follow Raph on IG here
- Brinjikji et al. 2015 – Disk bulge is highly prevalent in pain-free people here
- Changes in low back pain after TrA retraining are not related to changes in TrA timing here
- Changes in low back pain after strength or flexibility training are not related to changes in strength or flexibility here
- Voltaire: The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease here
- Physical therapy patients who receive guideline-based care have better outcomes here
- More non-guideline concordant treatments correlate with increased risk that pain becomes chronic here
About Raphael Bender:
Raph believes everyone deserves the opportunity to transform into a better version of themselves. His main strength as a teacher and movement professional is the ability to distill complex research findings into a simple, science-based approach to help people move fearlessly, thoughtlessly, and painlessly. He LOVES running, weights, cycling, and Contrology.
Raph holds a Master’s degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology (Rehabilitation), a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Sports Science, Diploma of Pilates Movement Therapy, and STOTT PILATES full certification.
How to Connect with Raphael:
- Find Breathe Education on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, and Twitter
- Find Raphael Bender on Instagram here: @the_raphaelbender
Purchase Raph’s books:
About Adam McAtee:
Adam is a Senior Trainer at Breathe Education, and has been teaching Pilates since 2009. Alongside his commitment to the practice, Adam earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science and will complete his Doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2024.Adam’s genuine passion lies in sharing evidence-based information with fellow Pilates instructors. His goal is to support their growth while helping them become better, happier and more financially successful.Beyond his professional endeavors, Adam finds solace in life’s simple pleasures. He appreciates the art of a well-crafted cup of coffee, embraces an active lifestyle to maintain physical well-being, and eagerly explores new destinations while seizing opportunities to immerse himself in the tranquility of the ocean. Adam also cherishes quality time spent with his loved ones, including his partner, daughter, and their three dogs.
How to Connect with Adam:
- Find Adam McAtee on IG here
Looking for Pilates mastery?
Here are ways we can help you really know your stuff.
Subscribe to our Pilates Elephants podcast and learn why most Pilates education is decades out of date at best, and at worst, just plain pseudoscientific. This inconvenient disconnect means there are many topics in Pilates that are “Elephants in the Room” – things we don’t question because it’s a bit heretical to do so. We’re here to change that.
If you are looking for inspiration, you want more than just a Pilates class, join our online community of qualified Pilates instructors from all over the world.
We help Pilates instructors build a solo business teaching Pilates from home or online to earn $100k a year through the Pilates Launchpad.
Check out Breathe Education here – https://breathe-education.com/.