Find resources mentioned in the episode:
- Hypermobile physical therapy students don’t sustain more injuries – they sustain different injuries here and here
- Amateur athletes who are hypermobile have the same number of injuries as non-hypermobile people here
- Over 2 years, no difference in injury rate between hypermobile and non-hypermobile NCAA div 1 collegiate footballers here
- 8-week bespoke physiotherapy plus OT vs advice & information; both groups improved equally after 8 weeks here
- After ACLR, 5X greater chance of reinjury for hypermobile people on return to high intensity sport here
- In dancers hypermobility is correlated with increased pain, but stabilization exercises did not change pain or injury incidence here
- A 2014 systematic review found “there is some evidence that people with JHS improve with exercise but there is no convincing evidence for specific types of exercise or that exercise is better than control.” here
- Joint-specific exercise and general exercise result in equal improvement for people with hypermobility here
- Pain in hypermobility is probably caused by central nervous system sensitization not biomechanics here
About Raphael Bender:
Raph believes everyone deserves the opportunity to transform into a better version of themselves. His main strength as a teacher and movement professional is the ability to distill complex research findings into a simple, science-based approach to help people move fearlessly, thoughtlessly, and painlessly. He LOVES running, weights, cycling, and Contrology.
Raph holds a Master’s degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology (Rehabilitation), a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Sports Science, Diploma of Pilates Movement Therapy, and STOTT PILATES full certification.
How to Connect with Raphael:
- Find Breathe Education on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, and Twitter
- Find Raphael Bender on Instagram here: @the_raphaelbender
Purchase Raph’s books:
Looking for Pilates mastery?
Here are ways we can help you really know your stuff.
Subscribe to our Pilates Elephants podcast and learn why most Pilates education is decades out of date at best, and at worst, just plain pseudoscientific. This inconvenient disconnect means there are many topics in Pilates that are “Elephants in the Room” – things we don’t question because it’s a bit heretical to do so. We’re here to change that.
If you are looking for inspiration, you want more than just a Pilates class, join our online community of qualified Pilates instructors from all over the world.
We help Pilates instructors build a solo business teaching Pilates from home or online to earn $100k a year through the Pilates Launchpad.
Check out Breathe Education here – https://breathe-education.com/.