Your Pilates Questions Answered
This week Pilates expert, and passionate advocate of fearless movement, Raphael Bender, is in the hot seat. Answering listeners’ Pilates questions surrounding confident movement practice. Raph discusses exercising with osteoarthritis, teaching form without undermining body confidence, and explains how slow and fast-twitch muscles work.
What You Will Learn:
- Why asking the right Pilates questions helps us uncover myths
- Why it’s vital to be a critical thinker in the Pilates realm
- Why we are passionate about empowering best practice
- Considerations when exercising with osteoarthritis
- The practical physiology of slow and fast-twitch muscles
- Suggestions for teaching proper form sensitively without undermining confidence
Your Questions Answered
On the Pilates Elephants podcast, we love to hear from you and answer any Pilates questions you might have about movement, exercise, and the Pilates realm in general. I (Raph) dive into the evidence in this show to put your doubts to rest and empower you to work with your Pilates clients to move freely and fearlessly. Our goal on the podcast is to bust common Pilates myths, create a community of lifelong learners, and help you help your clients to be their best selves in the studio and out.
Critical Thinking in the Fitness Realm
I (Raph) look at the scientific evidence and empirical data to help you solve your Pilates problems, answer your questions, and explore your issues. If you love Pilates and movement in general, then you’ll be interested in digging down into the truth behind some popular exercise misconceptions and where to find the evidence to support critical thinking skills in the fitness community.
Helping people move fearlessly and confidently is our jam here on the Pilates Elephants show. We’re committed to demystifying scientific analysis and showing you where and how to search for the data that allows you to support your clients in their movement practice with the most updated methods and information. We cover all sorts of topics such as how much Pilates instructors should get paid to specific anatomy and physiology — on the Pilates Elephants podcast, so keep sending your questions and comments to the show.
About Raphael and Cloe:
Raphael Bender, CEO, Breathe Education
Raph believes everyone deserves the opportunity to transform into a better version of themselves. His main strength as a teacher and movement professional is the ability to distill complex research findings into a simple, science-based approach to help people move fearlessly, thoughtlessly, and painlessly. He LOVES running, weights, cycling, and Contrology.
Raph holds a Master’s degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology (Rehabilitation), a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Sports Science, Diploma of Pilates Movement Therapy, and STOTT PILATES full certification.
Cloe Bunter, Training Manager, Breathe Education
With 8+ years in the industry, both teaching Pilates and nurturing new instructors, Cloe is passionate about empowering new and seasoned instructors to think critically and move fearlessly. Empowered instructors empower their clients, and in turn, change lives.
She finds great joy in building connections with clients, students, colleagues, and the broader movement and rehab community. Co-hosting the Pilates Elephants Podcast, with Raphael Bender, has provided an incredible platform to bust common Pilates, movement, and rehab myths whilst creating a worldwide community of critical thinkers who are elevating health literacy.
Cloe is fascinated by movement in general, and its ability to enhance our lives, at any age. Her own movement practice includes Contrology/Pilates, running, weights, and kettlebells. She has a Diploma of Clinical Pilates, Cert IV in Pilates, and Cert IV in Training and Assessing.
How to Connect with Raphael and Cloe:
- You can find Breathe Education online here
- You can find Cloe Bunter on Instagram here: @cloebunterpilates
- You can find Raphael Bender on Instagram here: @the_raphaelbender
Pilates Instructor Training Resources:
- It’s unclear whether exercise has any effect on the risk or progression of endometriosis here
- It’s also unclear whether exercise has any effect on the pain from endometriosis here
- No clear relationship between relaxin and pelvic pain during pregnancy here
- The SI joint moves less than 1 degree, even in people with “SI dysfunction” here
- Pregnancy is characterized by widespread tissue hypersensitivity here
- Custom insoles no better than off-the-shelf ones for plantar heel pain here and here
- In fact, none of the current treatments for plantar heel pain (including exercise) are much good here
- Join us for our free weekly Q&A, where you can get your questions answered live and connect with your peers!
Our Pilates instructor training is 100 percent online, so you can study from anywhere in the world.
Earn recognition: Your Breathe Education Pilates qualifications are recognized by the Australian Government, Exercise & Sport Science Australia, and all major insurers.
Build your skills: with our pilates instructor training, you’ll learn the original Contrology exercises created by Joseph Pilates. Plus, you’ll learn the most current, science-based ways to cue and program those exercises, how to work with injured and pregnant clients, and nurture beginners.
Gain confidence: Learning is fun and easy when you engage with our state-of-the-art eLearning system, filled with straightforward, relevant content and structured to guide your training as you build skills and confidence.
Feel supported: You’ll learn world-class problem-solving skills, not just a list of answers. Our student success team and trainers will provide you with all the guidance, challenge, and support you’ll need to become what you want to become.
Take your first step to becoming a certified Pilates instructor by scheduling a 20-minute Discovery Call with us here.